Product Development Specialist – Edmonton Office
Summary: Reporting to the Manager, Product Development, the Product Development Specialist will take ownership for the development and commercialization of new products and enhancement of existing products that meet operational, sales, marketing, and financial expectations.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Sales to provide technical support, clarify product requirements and support product launch. Conduct product evaluation of competitive products;
- Lead new product development and plant trials. Prepare samples for customers and internal presentation. Coordinate distribution of samples;
- Determine packaging requirements with production and suppliers. Determine sources of packaging, etc. with Purchasing;
- Work with Quality Assurance on preparation and production of samples for nutritional analysis, shelf life studies;
- Develop product specifications and standard operating procedures while framing with a continuous improvement mindset; product formulation, process and critical-to-quality product specifications;
- Assist with creating and maintaining customer specifications;
- Manage production launches ensuring plants are ready and products meet quality, yield and labour standards;
- Ensure that developed products comply with government regulations and certification requirements.
- Contact suppliers to source and test spices and seasonings (ingredients). Source alternate suppliers of existing ingredient, packaging and/or raw materials. Conduct research and testing of new ingredients, process techniques and packaging technologies;
- Detail product process in costing model. Work closely with Finance in the creation of BOMs;
- Interact with all departments as outlined under “Internal Relationships” and “External Relationships” heading;
- Maintain R&D areas and fulfill other related duties.
- Post-secondary education in Food Science, Science, Engineering, Culinary or related field;
- A minimum 3 years in quality assurance, product development or production;
- Meat industry experience preferred;
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite of software.